bhmh logo mini


bhmh logo

Back to main About Us page

Beech Hill Memorial Hall Management Committee

DRAFT MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING ON 27 JUNE 2017

Present
Charlie Carter
Graham Bell
Fleur Howles
Sarah Potter
Hannah Callier
Carole Woodason
Gillian Grahame
 
Apologies
Anton Roberts

1. Apologies

See above.

2. Minutes of last meeting (2 May 2017)

Provided by SP and signed as a true record by CC

3. Matters arising

CC spoke to Harvey Crocker who is still willing to re-surface the car park. GB to agree suitable date with Harvey Crocker, probably August

Graham Woodason has kindly cut the grass. The trustees thanked him.

A few new faces joined the Big Get-together (pudding club) on 17 June which was enjoyed by all. The trustees may plan a similar event in the future.

Beech Hill village entered Village of the Year competition but did not get selected.

 4. Financial update   

Treasurer’s Report dated 25 June 17 was presented by FH.  FH confirmed that high electricity bill was correct due to 2 years of estimated bills and the heating being left on by mistake over the Christmas break. FH has changed to a cheaper electricity supplier. FH reported that business rates are still zero. FH reported that weekday bookings now make up 51% of lettings income, which has replaced the revenue lost from stopping weddings and evening parties 2 years ago following concerns about noise. A new film projector is required – FH to set budget. Hall is required to complete a tax return which is very onerous. FH obtained quote from accountant – £450.  HC will also obtain a quote and CC will ask Swap Mann if he could offer accountancy support. To be discussed at next meeting. It was agreed to hold back 25% of the proceeds from the fete to cover next year's fete costs, based on the upfront costs incurred and potential risks to revenue from e.g. weather.

5. Marketing training
FH and HC recently attended Halls marketing training event. We are already following most of the recommendations except social media eg Twitter account, QR code. FH and HC are investigating Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for the Hall social media marketing strategy to maintain/improve bookings.
 
6. Maintenance update

GB to provide lock for kitchen cupboard.

Maintenance day re-scheduled to Sun 29 October..
 
7. Events update
 
Summer fete will be held on Sat 2 Sep 2017 and is being organised by a separate committee. Budget has been updated.  HC and FH to investigate weather insurance. CC to write to Parish Council to ask them to match any donations to the Church made by the Memorial Hall up to £1000 – FH to draft letter.  CW has obtained many excellent raffle prizes from local businesses. Sam Moore/fete committee are finding out how to get licence to print raffle tickets for sale in advance of fete.  PA system is required – HC to ask Mortimer partnership or Dee.

SP to check whether we agreed to give profits to Church in its 150th year (yes). 
CC to check with Paul where the church would spend any money.

Fete to be discussed at next meeting on 15 Aug.

Bonfire will be on Armistice Day Sun 12 Nov.

Xmas party will be on Sat 16 Dec at 12 noon

 
8. Strategy document – aims of Memorial Hall charity
 
SP has reviewed the trust deeds for the Memorial Hall charity and confirmed the trustees are in compliance with all the requirements including the number of trustees and using any profits to benefit the inhabitants of Beech Hill in accordance with the aims of the charity in the original charity deed.
 
9. Any other business
 
All to informally approach possible new trustees to join committee.
 
10. Date of next meeting

Tuesday 15th August 2017, Memorial Hall

~ End of draft minutes ~

 

© 2020 Beech Hill Memorial Hall, Wood Lane, Beech Hill, Reading, RG7 2BE. Registered charity number 300116.
gotop